Another new member...

Stop by and say Hello.
Wingman
Indian Ranch Roadie

Another new member...

Post by Wingman »

Howdy...

First visited this board just the other day, and it seems like a reasonably friendly place with reasonably knowledgable members for me to ask questions of -- and boy do I have questions!! I first heard of PV.com from member B-Spec, who I met in Death Valley a while back -- Thanks Chris...

I'm a photographer, retired from the working world a few years ago. My wife and I spent the winter in Death Valley as volunteers, working on a long-term project documenting Death Valley's back country cabins and other structures. This involved many 2-4 day trips into wonderful and out of the way places using all the fancy equipment and skills I've accumulated over 40+ years of taking pictures.

Definitely one of those "tough jobs but somebody's got to do it" sorts of thing...

Here are a couple of shots -- hope y'all enjoy them and would be interested in seeing more, and will be willing to answer endless questions.

I'll be interested in seeing how these shots post -- every board seems to be different. My aopologies in advance if they don't work out well!

The Wingman
Attachments
_D3M8109--for web.jpg
_D3M0819.jpg
Wingman
Indian Ranch Roadie

Re: Another new member...

Post by Wingman »

I see you need to double-click the images to see them full size?

Neal
AndyR
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: Raptor

Post by AndyR »

:welcome:
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you." --Anonymous
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Post by David_Bricker »

Welcome, and thanks for the pictures. We'd love to hear stories and more pics about your travels throughout the valley.

We really are a reasonable bunch. We do kid each each a fair bit, especially those of us who had known each other for a number of years. Also, when you have a chance, take a read of the forum guidelines. We'll chat about everything, except politics and religion, since no one is likely to convince someone to change their minds in those categories.

David Bricker / SYR
B-Spec
Panamint Valley Prospector
Rig: 2001 TJ,2005 Xterra,2013 TDI,2015 TDI, 1999 STI, 21 Jetta

Post by B-Spec »

Wingman wrote:I see you need to double-click the images to see them full size?

Neal

Ya they look good to me. :beerchug:
desert4wd wrote:Sometimes you have to put up with nature's extremes to get away from peoples extremes...
Wingman
Indian Ranch Roadie

Post by Wingman »

Thanks for the welcome -- I think I'll enjoy it here.

I post regularly on several photography and vintage aviation boards -- and have seen what political and religious discussions quickly deteriorate into. I think you'll find me a generally good citizen, and I suspect y'all will let me know if I overstep any bounds!

I'm assuming that the "photography and video" forum will generally be the best place to post stuff? Do most members seem to visit there fairly regularly?
Attachments
_D7N2437--for-web-.jpg
_D3M3853-for-web-.jpg
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

Howdy and welcome! Can't wait to see more photos. Is there a documentary available in digital media or anything like that?
Wingman
Indian Ranch Roadie

Post by Wingman »

Hey Larry -- No there is not, at least of our work. Our project seems in general to be more of an in-house thing. The Park seems to be trying to get a better handle on what they have, what the current condition of these places is, what issues and liabilities they have, and what the Park's relationship should be with the many visitors who love and often maintain and repair these places on their own time (and dime)(but often not in a historically appropriate manner and materials) and who sometimes trash or otherwise abuse them. The Park has to do a LOT of stuff over an enormous area with diminishing budgets and a remarkably small staff. I have no idea what will be the ultimate fate of the several thousand shots we did this winter. I'm just really glad to be out there doing what I love doing, and in a place I love.

Death Valley is like a huge onion -- I've been visiting there for 40 years, and each visit seems to peel back another layer and get me a bit deeper ino the mystery and the magic of the place. Six months of actually living there was amazing. I've been home in the Northern mountains for 4 days now and I'm already looking forward to returning to DEVA in the fall...

Neal
Attachments
_D3M6516.jpg
D.A. Wright
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Post by D.A. Wright »

I wish I had your job ... :wink:

Welcome!
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
sasquah
Panamint Valley Old Timer
Rig: 78 CJ5

Post by sasquah »

Beautiful work! Welcome aboard.
Alan, aka sasquah
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will Rogers
Older Fossil
Panamint City Resident

Post by Older Fossil »

Wingman wrote: I'm a photographer, retired from the working world a few years ago. My wife and I spent the winter in Death Valley as volunteers, working on a long-term project documenting Death Valley's back country cabins and other structures. This involved many 2-4 day trips into wonderful and out of the way places using all the fancy equipment and skills I've accumulated over 40+ years of taking pictures.
Welcome Wingman!

Any chance ranger Bob Greenberg is still around at DV? He is/was a seasonal ranger that spent winters at the park doing photographic projects in the park.

I'm an amateur trying to improve my photographic skills. Currently in Prince Rupert, BC on the way to Alaska with the RV for the summer.

Art
http://arts-work.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Post by Panamint Charlie »

Older Fossil wrote:
Wingman wrote: I'm a photographer, retired from the working world a few years ago. My wife and I spent the winter in Death Valley as volunteers, working on a long-term project documenting Death Valley's back country cabins and other structures. This involved many 2-4 day trips into wonderful and out of the way places using all the fancy equipment and skills I've accumulated over 40+ years of taking pictures.
Welcome Wingman!

Any chance ranger Bob Greenberg is still around at DV? He is/was a seasonal ranger that spent winters at the park doing photographic projects in the park.

I'm an amateur trying to improve my photographic skills. Currently in Prince Rupert, BC on the way to Alaska with the RV for the summer.

Art
http://arts-work.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Art, Those are some great photos of your journey. I'm envious of the trip you are taking.

Have safe travels and tell Barb that Summer Joy and I send our regards.
OnyxQueen
Panamint City Resident

Post by OnyxQueen »

:welcome:
It is not down in any map; true places never are.
~Herman Melville~