Returning to DV

Stop by and say Hello.
Buglady
Still Looking for Slim

Returning to DV

Post by Buglady »

I am a long time admirer of Death Valley. I’ve been there about a dozen times, but the last time was 10 years ago!! I have a trip planned for April 8-11, and I’m really looking forward to it. We always stayed at Stovepipe Wells before, but after some research (and just a bit of lurking on a couple of forums), we have made reservations at PSR this time.

Now I see that there is going to be an Apocalypse during our visit. Can someone please explain what that is?

Thanks.
Cindy
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

I don't know! I can't wait to see that one myself...
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Re: Returning to DV

Post by David_Bricker »

Buglady wrote:I am a long time admirer of Death Valley. I’ve been there about a dozen times, but the last time was 10 years ago!! I have a trip planned for April 8-11, and I’m really looking forward to it. We always stayed at Stovepipe Wells before, but after some research (and just a bit of lurking on a couple of forums), we have made reservations at PSR this time.

Now I see that there is going to be an Apocalypse during our visit. Can someone please explain what that is?

Thanks.
Cindy
Welcome Cindy! You picked the right place to come for Death and Panamint Valley information, tall tales, and a great bunch of people.

You've made the right decision to stay at PSR. I think you'll find the rooms are comparable to Stovepipe Wells, and the campgrounds vastly superior. The other thing that is superior at PSR are the people. The staff is just fantastic, and the new owners are working extremely hard to improve the place.

April Apocolypse is simply the name we picked for that particular get-together. Spring Fling was already taken by next week's "event" on March 8-11. The gang here at panamintcharlie.com try to pick dates when a number of us can head out, typically use PSR as a base camp, go wheeling, maybe volunteer a bit at PSR, have a potluck one night, and just generally have a great time. New folks are certainly most welcome; after all, most of us didn't know each other 1 or 2 years ago!

The "official" dates for April Apocolypse are April 6-11, with a volunteer day planned for Saturday, April 10th, as well as the potluck that evening. You can read about the main course for the past potlucks, Spiedies in any number of trip reports. Just search on "Spiedie". Oh, and don't believe anything these folks say about me burning anything down! 8)

During these events, which are very loosely to not organized, we informally decide where a group of people want to go each day and just do it. No registration or 30 vehicle caravans, etc. Typically, we'll have 3-6 vehicles in a group of the most. Then we usually meet up back at PSR, eat at the restaurant or campground, have a beer or something at the bar, and then retire to a joint campfire, or our own spots.

David Bricker / SYR
Cor-Cor
Still Looking for Slim

Post by Cor-Cor »

No, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

Welcome to the fun Cindy!!

Corey
Don't let that fancy paint job fool you
Buglady
Still Looking for Slim

Post by Buglady »

Sounds like fun!
I had never heard of speidies before, and when I saw it mentioned in some of the posts, I wondered if it was some kind of inside joke among forum members, possibly having to do with spiders. Then I did a google search and found it’s an actual recipe (and thankfully does not contain spiders!) It definitely sounds like something worth trying. Coincidently, even though we will be staying in a room, I had already planned to bring a batch of marinated chicken for pollo asado and have a little barbecue one night in the camping area, so who knows, we just might find our way to your merry band of desert folks.
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Post by David_Bricker »

When you get to PSR, be sure to ask the staff to track me down so we can meet. Of course, the staff will probably deny knowing me 8)

My son and I will be over in the tent sites.

David Bricker / SYR
Beatty Lady
Panamint Valley Old Timer
Rig: "Pearl", a 2014 Toyota FJ

Post by Beatty Lady »

:welcome:

Cindy, is that you?? OMG, I just checked your web site, it IS you — cool!!
Do you remember me? We used to visit each other's blogs before I got
lazy and quit posting to mine LOL—(LAS VEGAS 115.) Your Bug Safari
is looking fabulous, as always.

It's great that you found your way here.. they are a super nice bunch of
folks. I'm hoping to make it to the Apocalypse—now more than ever. It
sure would be fun to meet you!

Kit
usmcjim
Panamint City Resident

Post by usmcjim »

Hi Buglady,

My family has been in the bug business for eighty years.You haven't lived
until you've seen a female subterranean termite in her wingless state,post
nuptual flight.She elevates her abdomen to facilitate release of her
pheremones which are irresistible to male subterraneans.It is quite a spectical to see ''her''scurrying about with four or five males in very close
proximity vying for her affection.They usually swarm on a bright day after
a rain which softens the soil for entrance.
Welcome cindy,classy folks runneth over here!
rubiblue
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus

Post by rubiblue »

I had never heard of speidies before, and when I saw it mentioned in some of the posts, I wondered if it was some kind of inside joke among forum members
Well, it is an inside joke, but mostly at David expense! :twisted:

Wait, technically, on the porch is outside isn't it. So mostly it's an outside joke at David expense!

BTW, don't take us too seriously! Some of us emulate Scotty at times! :shock:
You can't see the true desert or real history from a paved road!

If you believe a politician has the answer, it must have been a dumb question!
Buglady
Still Looking for Slim

Post by Buglady »

Hi, Kit. Of course I remember you. I miss your blog posts, but I do check your Flickr page for those exquisite rock photos!

At this point, we haven't scheduled our activities yet, but I was considering having one day, either the 9th or 10th, to just hang around at PSR while my husband and son go to the racetrack or somewhere. We have the choice of driving our Honda accord, which would confine us to paved roads in relative comfort, or our Tacoma 4x4 with "access cab", which translates to "the backseat from Hell", especially if we go off road. (and our favorite spots are off road, of course.) It's a tough call, but if we do take the truck, I will happily sacrifice a day of jouncing around so my guys can have fun. And it would be nifty to meet you in person. You too, David.
Beatty Lady
Panamint Valley Old Timer
Rig: "Pearl", a 2014 Toyota FJ

Post by Beatty Lady »

There's plenty to do in DVNP whichever vehicle you bring, as I'm sure
you know. SOME PEOPLE tend to get into the 4x4 offroad rut, :wink: but
you and I know there's a whole lot more going on out there than that.
There are rocks. And even bugs! :D

Kit
desert4wd
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2005 Jeep

Post by desert4wd »

rubiblue wrote: BTW, don't take us too seriously! Some of us emulate Scotty at times! :shock:
Or his dog Windy :shock:

Welcome BugLady- I like that name.
Doug
K7FWD
B-Spec wrote:I don't do trails to prove anything.. I do them because I enjoy it. I could care less about proving anything to anyone..
Not much to offer these days since I'm cleaning out the flickr (photo site) because of high pricing.
Older Fling and Haul stuff (up to about 2008): http://www.pv.desert4wd.com/
Maybe a few things here still but I haven't updated for a couple years.: http://www.desert4wd.com/