Greetings

Stop by and say Hello.
Orofinogulch
Still Looking for Slim
Rig: Which one?

Greetings

Post by Orofinogulch »

Howdy all,

I have never really been involved in a forum, but was very excited to find this one and promptly joined. Usually I'm scouring the internet for information and history from others on desert and mining related topics. Now I have decided to give something back, and will post pictures and info from my desert wanderings.

My former and first place of residence was in So Cal., which allowed me to make quick trips out to the desert to preserve my sanity. I moved to Montana back in 08, but have made it back to the desert, usually Panamint Valley, around Christmas time every year since. It pains me not to be closer to the desert, but reading trip reports and doing research on sites such as this one serve as my "crutch."

I make my living as a geologist, primarily working at mines or on exploration projects. I have worked on a variety of projects from large open pit mines, to a small placer mine, to staking claims. Should anyone have anyone have any mining or geology questions, I'd be happy to chime in, even if I have to do some research to come up with an answer.

Enough about me- I have a few ideas for some initial posts, and hope to get them up here shortly.

Cheers, :beerchug:

-Michael
Well, then it must be over the next hill...
desert4wd
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2005 Jeep

Re: Greetings

Post by desert4wd »

Welcome to the group Michael. It's been quite a while since I lived near a desert also, so I understand what you're saying.
Great signature line. I think that often!
Doug
K7FWD
B-Spec wrote:I don't do trails to prove anything.. I do them because I enjoy it. I could care less about proving anything to anyone..
Not much to offer these days since I'm cleaning out the flickr (photo site) because of high pricing.
Older Fling and Haul stuff (up to about 2008): http://www.pv.desert4wd.com/
Maybe a few things here still but I haven't updated for a couple years.: http://www.desert4wd.com/
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Post by Panamint Charlie »

Welcome to the board!
Norman Johnson
Rig: "60 Willys wagon

Post by Norman Johnson »

Wow, cool. Why are you driving my jeep?

NJ
"You can't tell by watching a bunch of mules rolling in the dust which one can fart the loudest." Sherman Wilhelm

"In case you should ever get the idea you'd like to be a prospector or miner, remember, you don't have to be crazy, but it would help a lot." Jack Mitchell, DOD 10-28-1954
D.A. Wright
Rig: 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Post by D.A. Wright »

Maybe it was cloned? :mrgreen:

Welcome, Michael! :wave:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
SparkyofSocal
Panamint City Resident

Post by SparkyofSocal »

Norman Johnson wrote:Wow, cool. Why are you driving my jeep?

NJ
Take a peek out the window and make sure it's still in the driveway
jamessel
Rig: Moped

Post by jamessel »

68LC might have some rock question.
Orofinogulch
Still Looking for Slim
Rig: Which one?

Post by Orofinogulch »

NJ
Well, I must confess- it is not mine. It is my Dad's- but is the first vehicle I drove after getting my DL. It is a '61 that is mostly stock except for some essential upgrades for safety and functionality. My Dad has owned it since '62 and put over 300K on it. As pictured in the avatar, my Dad is driving down Jail Canyon, around 12/28/13. Since driving my CJ7 down from MT would be slow to say the least, I drive a Cummins Dodge. I figured most people would rather see the Willys than the ubiquitous Doge Ram...
Well, then it must be over the next hill...
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Post by David_Bricker »

Welcome! Please take a moment to read the guidelines in this section. We're a friendly group, but it's always best to stay away from religious and political topics. Plenty of forums for that. Here, we enjoy the desert, and sharing our experiences, despite religious and political views.

We love to see pictures, and hear reports of boondocking in the Death And Panamint Valley and surrounding areas. So, feel free to post up in the main section of the forum.
Orofinogulch wrote: I drive a Cummins Dodge. I figured most people would rather see the Willys than the ubiquitous Doge Ram...
My son, Noah, seems to be having a good time finding out how many pieces he can knock off his '04 2500 Cummins Dodge. So far, the steps are gone, and there are a few beauty marks, but it seems to be surviving.

David Bricker / SYR
Norman Johnson
Rig: "60 Willys wagon

Post by Norman Johnson »

Orofinogulch wrote:

NJ
Well, I must confess- it is not mine. It is my Dad's- but is the first vehicle I drove after getting my DL. It is a '61 that is mostly stock except for some essential upgrades for safety and functionality. My Dad has owned it since '62 and put over 300K on it. As pictured in the avatar, my Dad is driving down Jail Canyon, around 12/28/13. Since driving my CJ7 down from MT would be slow to say the least, I drive a Cummins Dodge. I figured most people would rather see the Willys than the ubiquitous Doge Ram...
If you look close, the windshield is not divided in two. That was the new look after 1960 when my version was made.

NJ
"You can't tell by watching a bunch of mules rolling in the dust which one can fart the loudest." Sherman Wilhelm

"In case you should ever get the idea you'd like to be a prospector or miner, remember, you don't have to be crazy, but it would help a lot." Jack Mitchell, DOD 10-28-1954