Hey there from TN!

Stop by and say Hello.
rider_marc
Still Looking for Slim
Rig: '23 Tacoma TRD Off-Road

Hey there from TN!

Post by rider_marc »

Want to say "hey there" to the folks here and snoop around. Back in June of 2015, I spent two nights at Furnace Creek. Did some exploring with the Concours 14. Walked around the Badwater drain--at least it looks like that from above at Dante's Peak. Rode over Emigrant Pass and then over to Panamint Springs for a late lunch.

Looking to get back to DV early '17 and doing some route planning for the area. Will be on an off-pavement capable bike this time. :D

Here are a couple pictures from the 2015 visit.

See ya around!

-marc

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Re: Hey there from TN!

Post by David_Bricker »

Welcome! I hope the fires haven't impacted your area.

When you have the chance, please read the forum rules in this section. We don't have many, other than be nice, and save the political and religious posts for some other forum.

Early 2017, my son will still be out at PSR, so if you make it that way, be sure to stop and say hello.

Let us know what you're interested in seeing, and how off road capable you'll be, and we can provide some recommendations.

Also, unrelated to this site, there is a annual Noob Rally held at PSR that, if the timing works, may be something to consider. It's at the end of March, and may already be full, but it's another point of information. I've been out there during the rally, it is very busy; the rally takes up all accommodations, but it seems to be a pretty decent group. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2 ... 2.1181165/

David Bricker / SYR
rider_marc
Still Looking for Slim

Post by rider_marc »

Thanks for the info DB! Forum rules and codes of behavior are fine and just stay away from inflammatory posting. Keyboard giants of the world can have the internet. Just a friendly guy who maybe can add something to a topic, or take away sound information.

The fires have been something for sure. Every day a new story of relief or sadness is in the local news. The fires are about 2 1/2 hours from here, but have been pretty-much extinguished by the rains that passed through a few days ago. All the relief efforts are amazing.

So the rally at PSR next year is just a bit too early for me to be there as I see it now. Of course that could change, but generally I shy away from crowds anyway. PSR is a location I am considering to base out of while I explore more of DV. Last year I was going to camp, but about two weeks before arriving I noticed the forecasts were hotter than what I had seen in average temperatures, so I booked a room at the Furnace Creek resort. When I had lunch at the PSR, I noticed there were some nice places to stay and made a mental note of it.

So, April is the target month for me. Still need the right bike and finalize how I want to get there. Options are ride from Colorado, or drive the Frontier pulling a trailer with the bike. I am leaning towards using the truck to get into the area.

Some places I want to see are the Racetrack and a ride through Titus Canyon. Also, getting back into the Panamint Range. Each on day trips. Should have extra time available to explore other areas as they become apparent.

Marc

-marc
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker »

PSR runs about 10 degrees cooler than Furnace Creek, as a general rule. April is a very decent time of year.

Hunter mountain / Racetrack / Lippincott is a nice loop. In April, you may find snow and mud on Hunter mountain - it varies each year. It's a long day, but doable.

Titus Canyon could be done in the Frontier with a small trailer, on the way in from Las Vegas. Doing it that way is easy, and saves the backtracking.

PSR has tent camping, as well as tent cabins and motel units, and April should not be too much of a problem with availability.

David Bricker / SYR
rider_marc
Still Looking for Slim

Post by rider_marc »

Driving through Titus Canyon on the way into DV is a thought, DB. The temperature during my late lunch at PSR was not too hot as I ate at one of the tables on the porch. But, heading back to Furnace Creek I had to stop for a picture of this. My outside temp display was showing 114 degrees iirc.

rider_marc
Still Looking for Slim

Post by rider_marc »

Well, time is getting close. I've been locating, editing, and creating gps tracks for the Garmin. Packing lists are generated. Looks like the Frontier and trailer will take me and the bike all the way into DV--bypassing Colorado.

Mostly small tasks, although now I believe I'm going to mod the ramp-gate to a folding version in order to get it out of the wind--something I did on the previous utility trailer.
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker »

Do you have any dates yet?

David Bricker / SYR - ITO
rider_marc
Still Looking for Slim

Post by rider_marc »

Well, nothing more than arriving during the first week of April. There is a three-day drive to get out there, and would like to leave here at the end of March--the latest. I suppose in the coming weeks I'll set a departure date based on some reservations that are yet to be made.