It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Greetings
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 am 
Still Looking for Slim

Howdy all,

I have never really been involved in a forum, but was very excited to find this one and promptly joined. Usually I'm scouring the internet for information and history from others on desert and mining related topics. Now I have decided to give something back, and will post pictures and info from my desert wanderings.

My former and first place of residence was in So Cal., which allowed me to make quick trips out to the desert to preserve my sanity. I moved to Montana back in 08, but have made it back to the desert, usually Panamint Valley, around Christmas time every year since. It pains me not to be closer to the desert, but reading trip reports and doing research on sites such as this one serve as my "crutch."

I make my living as a geologist, primarily working at mines or on exploration projects. I have worked on a variety of projects from large open pit mines, to a small placer mine, to staking claims. Should anyone have anyone have any mining or geology questions, I'd be happy to chime in, even if I have to do some research to come up with an answer.

Enough about me- I have a few ideas for some initial posts, and hope to get them up here shortly.

Cheers, :beerchug:

-Michael

Post subject: Re: Greetings
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:13 am 
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus

Welcome to the group Michael. It's been quite a while since I lived near a desert also, so I understand what you're saying.
Great signature line. I think that often!

B-Spec wrote:
I don't do trails to prove anything.. I do them because I enjoy it. I could care less about proving anything to anyone..

Fall Haul 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/desert4wd/collections/72157676078444026/
Past Fling and Haul Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/desert4wd/collections/72157624330500811/
Older Fling and Haul stuff: http://www.pv.desert4wd.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:17 pm 
Head Janitor

Welcome to the board!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:49 pm 

Wow, cool. Why are you driving my jeep?

NJ

"In case you should ever get the idea you'd like to be a prospector or miner, remember, you don't have to be crazy, but it would help a lot." Jack Mitchell, DOD 10-28-1954

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:56 pm 

Maybe it was cloned? :mrgreen:

Welcome, Michael! :wave:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:37 pm 
Panamint City Resident

Norman Johnson wrote:

NJ

Take a peek out the window and make sure it's still in the driveway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:38 pm 

68LC might have some rock question.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:43 pm 
Still Looking for Slim

Norman Johnson wrote:

NJ

Well, I must confess- it is not mine. It is my Dad's- but is the first vehicle I drove after getting my DL. It is a '61 that is mostly stock except for some essential upgrades for safety and functionality. My Dad has owned it since '62 and put over 300K on it. As pictured in the avatar, my Dad is driving down Jail Canyon, around 12/28/13. Since driving my CJ7 down from MT would be slow to say the least, I drive a Cummins Dodge. I figured most people would rather see the Willys than the ubiquitous Doge Ram...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:45 pm 
PSR Fire Marshall

Welcome! Please take a moment to read the guidelines in this section. We're a friendly group, but it's always best to stay away from religious and political topics. Plenty of forums for that. Here, we enjoy the desert, and sharing our experiences, despite religious and political views.

We love to see pictures, and hear reports of boondocking in the Death And Panamint Valley and surrounding areas. So, feel free to post up in the main section of the forum.

Orofinogulch wrote:
I drive a Cummins Dodge. I figured most people would rather see the Willys than the ubiquitous Doge Ram...

My son, Noah, seems to be having a good time finding out how many pieces he can knock off his '04 2500 Cummins Dodge. So far, the steps are gone, and there are a few beauty marks, but it seems to be surviving.

David Bricker / SYR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:38 am 

Orofinogulch wrote:
Norman Johnson wrote:

NJ

Well, I must confess- it is not mine. It is my Dad's- but is the first vehicle I drove after getting my DL. It is a '61 that is mostly stock except for some essential upgrades for safety and functionality. My Dad has owned it since '62 and put over 300K on it. As pictured in the avatar, my Dad is driving down Jail Canyon, around 12/28/13. Since driving my CJ7 down from MT would be slow to say the least, I drive a Cummins Dodge. I figured most people would rather see the Willys than the ubiquitous Doge Ram...

If you look close, the windshield is not divided in two. That was the new look after 1960 when my version was made.

NJ

"In case you should ever get the idea you'd like to be a prospector or miner, remember, you don't have to be crazy, but it would help a lot." Jack Mitchell, DOD 10-28-1954