Surprise Canyon

Stop by and say Hello.
mojave1951
Still Looking for Slim

Surprise Canyon

Post by mojave1951 »

Does anyone have any current information on Surprise Canyon access?
wheezer
Panamint City Resident

Re: Surprise Canyon

Post by wheezer »

To the best of my knowledge access is by foot or hoof only. You can drive as far as Chris Wicht's camp but must park and walk from there. Though I have not been there myself, I hear that the trail to PC is badly overgrown and in dire need of clearing. It is recommended that you bring extra shoes and socks for hiking in the water.

Wheezer
Life is hard, wear a cup! -Dennis Miller
D.A. Wright
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Post by D.A. Wright »

On my only hike up to PC in 1997, I wore tennis shoes for the first leg, which is almost entirely through running water. I cached my shoes and wet socks at Limekiln Spring and retrieve them the following day upon exiting.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
stan
Another Ballarat Barkeep

Post by stan »

The best hike in the desert by far!! I have been visiting PC every 12 to 18 months since the 70's.. Was more better when you could drive there, but that's a different story. Like others have said the trail is overgrown, so some bushwacking and route following is necessary. Take some old tennis or water shoes for traversing the falls. Easier to just walk in the water rather than risking a fall trying to stay dry. Also a short section of rope comes in handy.
I also take some pruning shears, clippers or small saw just in case the route needs to be cleared - but, don't use them ever cause it might make the ranger mad.. The springs are beautiful, lots of stuff to see and explore.. Once past the springs the walk to PC is just as inviting, side trips galore. At PC it get even better, explore, explore and have a blast. While at PC take a minute to fix something too!! I'm going back this spring, maybe will see you there.
This info as of spring 2015, last time I was there.....
Merry Christmas to all. !!!
Wherever you go, There you are....
sddarkman619
Another Ballarat Barkeep
Rig: Toyota Tacoma 4WD

Post by sddarkman619 »

I'm planning on going there sometime in the spring as well. My first trip there. I've read in a ghost town book I have, about Lewis shaft behind or above PC that has Charles Mansons name scrawled in it? Any one know about that? Where might I find info on Lewis mineshaft and where it may be?
stan
Another Ballarat Barkeep

Post by stan »

Don't ever recall anything about the "Lewis" shaft or Manson's name. He and his criminal fool pals did wander in the area tho....... Who knows??
But, PC and the surrounding area is a fascinating place to explore..... Have fun...
Wherever you go, There you are....
Norman Johnson
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: "60 Willys wagon

Post by Norman Johnson »

I read that same book and a quite a few years ago, Dave and I hiked up there around Christmas time. Brewery Spring had overflowed and run down the tracks of the road--where it froze. We scrambled along partly in the shrubbery because if a person stepped on the ice, it would be a long fast slide back down the canyon. We stayed outside one of the cabins in our tents up on the north side overlooking the Hilton. We checked out a lot of the mines. I think we did the Lewis tunnel and at the end there was a lot of graffiti on the walls. I believe one of the names was "Tex." we did not see a "Charley." Who knows if that was the "Tex" or if any of the names were more than just what you see anywhere else--the markings of those who feel compelled to leave something behind so people will remember them.

NJ
"You can't tell by watching a bunch of mules rolling in the dust which one can fart the loudest." Sherman Wilhelm

"In case you should ever get the idea you'd like to be a prospector or miner, remember, you don't have to be crazy, but it would help a lot." Jack Mitchell, DOD 10-28-1954