It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:27 am 
Another Ballarat Barkeep

Norman Johnson wrote:
Boiler Canyon was impassible.

Now that I figured out where Boiler Canyon is, I'm worried. This is on the way from the cabin to Cerro Gordo, right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:31 pm 
Another Ballarat Barkeep

Right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:14 am 
PSR Fire Marshall

Boiler Canyon can be a tough one. Coming from the tram breakover station, you drop into Boiler Canyon down a scree field, where you need to keep a bit of throttle so the wheels continue to turn, rather than skid. Once you get to the bottom, coming up the other side is steep, but "normal", unless there is snow on it. The road is on the north side of the hill, so stays shaded.

One Spring Fling many years ago, I led a group from Cerro Gordo, in an attempt to do the Swansea loop. We had overflown the area the day before, but couldn't really see into Boiler Canyon. We knew we were going to have an interesting day, when coming down Boiler Canyon, we were spinning.

What stopped us was a huge snow field on the north side of the hill, between Boiler Canyon and the tram breakover station. IT was simply too long to try and get across. So, in your case, you'll hit that spot before Boiler Canyon. I would expect that to be your gating factor of getting to Cerro Gordo. The advantage is you'll see the snow field, if it's there, and easily be able to turn around, as opposed to committing to Boiler Canyon.

David Bricker / SYR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am 
Another Ballarat Barkeep

Thanks David. I feel better knowing that there will be someplace to turn around if it looks like trouble ahead. I know that slope is already so steep you can barely get traction even when it's dry, so I wouldn't want to have to back up on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:38 pm 
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus

It being a wet winter, you might have land and rock slides between the south lip of Boiler Canyon and Cerro Gordo. The road becomes a shelf road cut into a steep slope. No dangers, but there might be a big rock blocking the route. Might take along a long breaker bar for leverage in that event.

Last edited by D.A. Wright on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 pm 
Another Ballarat Barkeep

Hmm, I hate to be the very first group of the season to do that route. If we get to the bottom of Boiler Canyon but then can't make it to Cerro Gordo, we'll have to go back up! Not looking forward to that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:35 pm 
PSR Fire Marshall

Morrie wrote:
Hmm, I hate to be the very first group of the season to do that route. If we get to the bottom of Boiler Canyon but then can't make it to Cerro Gordo, we'll have to go back up! Not looking forward to that.

You may be able to call Cerro Gordo to find out the condition of the shelf portion of the road. It''s 1/2 mile from CG. the shefl portion is less than 1/2 miles long. A shovel wouldn't hurt, as much of the off camber is from small shale that has moved onto the road from the rains.

Going up Boiler Canyon from east to west is not all that bad. It's highly unlikely there will be any snow on the scree slope, as it is south facing, and is among the first to melt.

David Bricker / SYR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:30 am 
Panamint City Resident

Saw this on another forum. Info on road conditions. Guys looked to have a time

http://www.ttora.com/forum/218-past-eve ... 017-a.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:36 pm 
Still Looking for Slim

This is a long shot but... Has anyone ever taken the road from Coyote Flat down to Big Pine? I'm trying to find out its condition and difficulty.

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/undergroundexplorers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:05 pm 
Panamint City Resident

Yes I have. Say 4 years ago. One very tricky off camber rock pile. Easy to wiggle thru on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:11 am 
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus

OpenTrackRacer wrote:
This is a long shot but... Has anyone ever taken the road from Coyote Flat down to Big Pine? I'm trying to find out its condition and difficulty.

Thanks!

Not current but will give you an idea of the entire route.

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/glacierview-sanger.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10