Well traveled old timer....deserts, africa, the arctic

Stop by and say Hello.
gene
Still Looking for Slim

Well traveled old timer....deserts, africa, the arctic

Post by gene »

I used to post here years ago but I forget who I was so I re-listed.

I'm a 50 year veteran of DV backcountry, traveled the entire Sahara about 20 years back, lots of trips to the northern arctic, baja veteran, and lots of 4 corners experience. Anyway, hello to fellow travelers, glad to be back ;)

Oh yeah, check this video I made form our recent grey whales of baja trip: http://www.youtube.com/user/generubinaudio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From Baja Sur to the Arctic and all places in between!
Great video with the grey whales of Laguna San Ignacio: http://www.youtube.com/user/generubinaudio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Re: Well traveled old timer....deserts, africa, the arctic

Post by David_Bricker »

Welcome back, Gene. Hopefully, you won't forget who you again :mrgreen: I frequently forget who I am sometimes, so don't worry about it.

We'd love to hear stories about your travels. Thanks for the first one about the whales.

David Bricker / SYR
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Post by Panamint Charlie »

I try to forget who I am sometimes, but my Wife and kids quickly remind me.

Welcome to the board. I want to hear more about your arctic adventures.
gene
Still Looking for Slim

Post by gene »

Panamint Charlie wrote:I try to forget who I am sometimes, but my Wife and kids quickly remind me.

Welcome to the board. I want to hear more about your arctic adventures.
Panamint Charlie,

yes, if you think it isn't too "off topic" for a DV area forum, I will talk about some of my arctic trips. As a student of anthropology and a love for the wildest places, the arctic is an amazing lure. Canada's NWT my favorite. I've made the trip many times all the way to Inuvik which is 300 miles north of the arctic circle and 500 miles of dirt road. Think Saline Valley Road (when it's in decent shape) but 500 miles worth! I generally drive from Ventura all the way there and back but on a couple of occasions I've gone one-way, selling my truck in Anchorage and a couple of other occasions I flew to Anchorage and rented a truck. Inuvik is 1100 miles north of Anchorage so even with a flight to Anchorage, it's a long haul.

Making the drive from California allows one to explore BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska. There are many native cultures to explore along the way. Tlingkit, Haida, Athabaskan and my favorite, the Inuit. I am a fiddler and many Inuit are fiddlers as well, so we do a bit of jammin'.

High points of the trip are Cassiar Hwy in BC, Bella Coola in BC, Atlin, White Horse, Hyder, Eagle Alaska (bush town of 150 on the Yukon River where I was married) , Denali where you'll be guaranteed to see grizzlies, moose etc. and my favorites: The Dempster Highway and Dawson City.
This video of the Dempster isn't mine but it gives you the idea: http://youtu.be/Pjx7oidhNSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too tired to write more,( bedtime) but one day I'll make a trip report.
From Baja Sur to the Arctic and all places in between!
Great video with the grey whales of Laguna San Ignacio: http://www.youtube.com/user/generubinaudio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Post by Panamint Charlie »

Very cool!

Nothing is off topic here. 8) Your arctic trip reports would be more than appreciated.
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Post by David_Bricker »

Good stuff, the Artic. Yeah, go ahead and post up some in the Trip Reports sections.

David Bricker / SYR