Thanks for the great site!

Stop by and say Hello.
rockodile
Still Looking for Slim

Thanks for the great site!

Post by rockodile »

Hello, My name is Patrick, am in Sacramento and I found this site recently while searching for info on the area. I had a work related trip that took me to China Lake two separate times recently. While driving north on 14 I saw the Burro Schmidt tunnel sign of which I had heard a version or two of the story. Although in a mini van during my second trip I decided to see how far I could get up the road. Of course using a great deal of caution and also having a little 4x4 seat time I decided to give it a shot and if I ran into something that did not look good just turn around. I made it up there without an issue and took a walk through the tunnel as well as scoping out the views of the area. Third trip out in the desert and I want more.

So thank you all for this site, unfortunately I don't have much desert time so I will probably not have much to offer accept questions. I have only wheeled in SoCal 3 times. My first run down there was led by none other than Randy P on the Miller Jeep trail. Anyway I am hoping to learn from yall the correct way to enjoy this one of a kind area.

Best Regards,

Patrick
Best Regards,

Patrick
rubiblue
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus

Re: Thanks for the great site!

Post by rubiblue »

First of all, there is no "correct way"! The main thing is to go and use your head. You'll learn what you want to see and discover your own correct way. Most any vehicle will do some of it, as you have already found. If you find that you enjoy it, eventually you will get a more capable vehicle and discover even more fun.
You can't see the true desert or real history from a paved road!

If you believe a politician has the answer, it must have been a dumb question!
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Post by David_Bricker »

rubiblue wrote:...eventually you will get a more capable vehicle and discover even more fun.
And then, the money put begins!

Seriously, there are as many ways to enjoy the area as there are folks enjoying it. Welcome to the forum; we're glad you found it. Please take some time to read the forum guidelines. We are a friendly group, and we don't mind questions. We may ask for more information such are what you are driving, but we're happy to share our knowledge.

David Bricker / SYR - YLW
rockodile
Still Looking for Slim

Post by rockodile »

David_Bricker wrote:
rubiblue wrote:...eventually you will get a more capable vehicle and discover even more fun.
And then, the money put begins!

Seriously, there are as many ways to enjoy the area as there are folks enjoying it. Welcome to the forum; we're glad you found it. Please take some time to read the forum guidelines. We are a friendly group, and we don't mind questions. We may ask for more information such are what you are driving, but we're happy to share our knowledge.

David Bricker / SYR - YLW
Thanks! Been wheeling up here around Sacramento i.e. Rubicon, Fordyce and a lot of the other local trails roads and historic routes, but have only made it to that area a couple of times on work related stuff. Did have a couple sites down there that required my jeep so that was my first taste of the desert. One site was on Stoddard Valley SVRA and the other was 20 miles off 127 on a power line headed back towards Barstow on the south border of China Lake I believe. Both trips have left me wanting more time down in the desert it has just taken me a while to get into a position where I can start thinking about investing some time down there! Have and '03 TJ rubicon MONEY PIT built for rocks, as with all 4x4's it is a work in progress that will never quite be done!

Best Regards, Patrick
Best Regards,

Patrick
RandyP
Panamint City Resident
Rig: '03 Jeep TJ

Post by RandyP »

Patrick,

Glad to see that you found this bulletin board. There are good people here that enjoy Panamint Valley and the surrounding area and that know more than I will ever learn about the area.
RandyP