Hello from SoCal!

Stop by and say Hello.
BorregoWrangler
Another Ballarat Barkeep
Rig: 1989 & 2000 Jeep Wrangler

Hello from SoCal!

Post by BorregoWrangler »

Greetings from sunny San Diego! My name is John and I've joined here hoping to increase my knowledge of places to explore around Death Valley and Panamint Mountains. As I'm sure you can guess from my user name (actually the name of my Jeep) I enjoy spending my time in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. I enjoy all deserts, really and am looking forward to getting out and exploring all around Panamint Valley. I plan on checking out Panamint Springs, Teakettle Junction, The Grandstand, Racetrack Playa and the mysterious moving rocks, and the Aerial Tramway. Pleasant & South Park Canyon loop trail is also on the list.

I had hoped to head up there sometime this spring around March, but since my wife is due with our firstborn that month... well, so much for those plans. But well worth it! I may try for a sooner trip over the Thanksgiving weekend but will just have to wait and see how things go.

Anyway, I drive a 1989 Jeep "Borrego" Wrangler. Besides ABDSP you'll also find me wheelin' around Big Bear, the Colorado River around Yuma, AZ and a number of areas throughout east San Diego County.

Now to get back to reading everyone's trip reports here... :D
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Re: Hello from SoCal!

Post by Panamint Charlie »

Greetings from up the road in Alpine. Welcome to the board.

Nice avatar! Been there a few times over the years.
BorregoWrangler
Another Ballarat Barkeep

Panamint Charlie wrote:Greetings from up the road in Alpine. Welcome to the board.

Nice avatar! Been there a few times over the years.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to hiking out there again when it cools off. Here's a link to the report and pictures from my last hike out to Goat Canyon. http://www.oausa.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Wow! What a hike! I've always parked at the end of the Dos Cabazas road and just hiked the RR from there. Last time I did that was just before the line re-opened and it would be illegal to walk the line. Maybe that's no longer an issue if Sweetwood or whatever his name was has gone bankrupt. His Wife showed me photos of when they were rebuilding the line. Bodies found at the bottom of the trestle and what-not.

Definitely heading back that way as soon as it cools off.

http://www.panamintcharlie.com/goatcanyon.html
desert4wd
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2005 Jeep

Post by desert4wd »

Welcome John.
Great pics of the trestles and scenery you two. :beerchug:
Doug
K7FWD
B-Spec wrote:I don't do trails to prove anything.. I do them because I enjoy it. I could care less about proving anything to anyone..
Not much to offer these days since I'm cleaning out the flickr (photo site) because of high pricing.
Older Fling and Haul stuff (up to about 2008): http://www.pv.desert4wd.com/
Maybe a few things here still but I haven't updated for a couple years.: http://www.desert4wd.com/
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Post by David_Bricker »

Welcome!

Heading out to Panamint Springs for Thanksgiving would be a great idea. The family and I will be out there that week. PSR puts on a very nice Free Will Offering Thanksgiving dinner, and even a few of us desert rats from this board have been known to show up.

If you decide to come out for Thanksgiving, reservations for the campground are highly recommended. It would be nice to be able to meet you.

David Bricker / SYR-KIN
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

Welcome to the board Wrangler... What's your given name? I have some different photos of that trestle you might be interested in seeing. For 5 years I have threatened to have them digitized LOL. Perhaps it is about time. Great photos of your hike and the trestle. I've been on that trestle maybe 50 times and never had to walk there.
Bodies found at the bottom of the trestle and what-not.
Wow Charlie what's this about bodies at the bottom of the trestle? Never heard that.
BorregoWrangler
Another Ballarat Barkeep

LarryW wrote:I have some different photos of that trestle you might be interested in seeing. For 5 years I have threatened to have them digitized LOL. Perhaps it is about time. Great photos of your hike and the trestle. I've been on that trestle maybe 50 times and never had to walk there.
Post 'em up! How did you get out there? Train? Service car? Years and years ago when the line was still down my dad would drive out there on the tracks in his old Ford Bronco.
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

How did you get out there?
He He, Only with the coolest in rail-line transportation. He'll have to show you.
my dad would drive out there on the tracks in his old Ford Bronco.
That's funny! I was out in the flats just West of Sugerloaf mountain and the road veered away from the tracks. I wanted to stick to the tracks so I just drove up on the tracks. Put one side up on the rail and let the other side thumpity thump on the ties. Oh yeah, I was driving my 67 Bronco.

Larry, I don't have much info on the bodies. I was told a few have been found out there. I saw a picture that they took of one of them. Looked like he had been there for an awefull long time. kinda mummy like and took on the color of the rock around him. Could miss him if you weren't careful.

Another was some dude who climbed above one of the tunnel entrances and fell, cracking his noggin on a rail. Grease spot by the time he was found.

We'll have to hook-up and take a stroll out there sometime. It's an easy walk of about four miles to the trestle.
RSG
Panamint Valley Old Timer
Rig: jeep grand cherokee 2005

Post by RSG »

LarryW wrote:... I've been on that trestle maybe 50 times and never had to walk there.
Bodies found at the bottom of the trestle and what-not.
my ears perked up (or my eyes did) when i read that. i would love to see that old trestle but the hike as shown in those great photos would definitely kill me.

Welcome borrego wrangler! you have some awesome pics of the jeep trail you did.

rsg
Norman Johnson
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: "60 Willys wagon

Post by Norman Johnson »

You mean that drop off?

I took my sports car down that route years ago. Drove it out through Split Mountain, too. Great post. Man, that hike is pretty fantastic looking, but I'm too old. I have always wanted to see the trestle. I camp in Clark Valley in the winter and up at Alder Canyon in upper Coyote. Spent some time in lower Coyote at Cougar and Sheep, camping as well. I remember when the road was open all the way through. I once took my 64 VW bus down Turkey Tracks and back up again just for the fun of it.

NJ

NJ
"You can't tell by watching a bunch of mules rolling in the dust which one can fart the loudest." Sherman Wilhelm

"In case you should ever get the idea you'd like to be a prospector or miner, remember, you don't have to be crazy, but it would help a lot." Jack Mitchell, DOD 10-28-1954
RSG
Panamint Valley Old Timer
Rig: jeep grand cherokee 2005

Post by RSG »

Norman Johnson wrote:Image

i love it! like places i used to go in an old toyota corolla and nissan sentra. before i knew better.