Nevada here.

Stop by and say Hello.
RedRocker
Still Looking for Slim

Nevada here.

Post by RedRocker »

Hello all you desert rats! I'm in Las vegas. Pretty much a poser-I don't even have 4 wheel drive. But I love to hike, and i'm planning on a trip out to Death Valley to do Telescope Peak eventually. In the meantime, I'm wandering around the local hills here in the southwest Vegas valley. In the Red Rock Canyon area. Just wanted to introduce myself. Inmy 50's like many of you, but fortunately my feets ain't failed me yet!! Take care.

RR
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Re: Nevada here.

Post by Panamint Charlie »

No need to have a 4x4 to have a good time in the back country. Welcome to the board.
Alkali Bill
Indian Ranch Roadie

Post by Alkali Bill »

Plenty of great desert to hike down there without 4x4....enjoy
Cheers, Alkali Bill
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

Howdy and welcome to the board. In the middle of the Redrocks Loop, there is a 4wd trail that heads into the mountains. I've been up that trail quite a ways and it does go through to Pahrump I think. It's mighty beautiful up there. You might want to check it out. You can park at the trail head or drive on up in there with a 4wd vehicle. Here are some pics of the area.
Attachments
flata.jpg
monkeyrocka.jpg
trees1a.jpg
redrock2.jpg
redrock1.jpg
Nojeep
Indian Ranch Roadie
Rig: 2007 FJC ,1966 FJ40, 1978 FJ55

Post by Nojeep »

Welcome Neighbor,

I'm in the Northwest of the Valley right off the 95 just below the mount Charleston turn off so I spend lot of time Hiking up on Mount Charleston in the summer above the Heat, and winters exploring Death Valley

As LarryW referred to the trail through off the Red Rock Canyon Loop through the Road Rocky Gap or Potato Ridge as some people call It comes out through Lovell Canyon Rd comes out on to highway 160 to Pahrump 7 miles below Mountain Springs pass.

Nevada Lot's to explore out there....
B-Spec
Panamint Valley Prospector
Rig: 2001 TJ,2005 Xterra,2013 TDI,2015 TDI, 1999 STI, 21 Jetta

Post by B-Spec »

The Red Rocks trail up over the pass into Pahrump has some pretty nasty rock gardens in it now.. It also has some great rough bypasses for the Jeeps.. :mrgreen:
desert4wd wrote:Sometimes you have to put up with nature's extremes to get away from peoples extremes...
Nojeep
Indian Ranch Roadie
Rig: 2007 FJC ,1966 FJ40, 1978 FJ55

Post by Nojeep »

B-Spec wrote:The Red Rocks trail up over the pass into Pahrump has some pretty nasty rock gardens in it now.. It also has some great rough bypasses for the Jeeps.. :mrgreen:

That Road is tore up bad and the by pass roads are getting worse dose not need to be that way, sure mother nature helps. this will give the BLM another excuse to close that road too sadly, This not use to be that way in the 70s I remember driving my 55 Chevy Bel air up that road to the pass, last time up I busted a spider gear in My Toyota FZJ80 I blame It on all the Knuckle heads that can't stay off the skinny pedal, they put way too effort in driving there 4X4s and just make us all look bad :( hiJack Over....
B-Spec
Panamint Valley Prospector
Rig: 2001 TJ,2005 Xterra,2013 TDI,2015 TDI, 1999 STI, 21 Jetta

Post by B-Spec »

Nojeep wrote:
B-Spec wrote:The Red Rocks trail up over the pass into Pahrump has some pretty nasty rock gardens in it now.. It also has some great rough bypasses for the Jeeps.. :mrgreen:

That Road is tore up bad and the by pass roads are getting worse dose not need to be that way, sure mother nature helps. this will give the BLM another excuse to close that road too sadly, This not use to be that way in the 70s I remember driving my 55 Chevy Bel air up that road to the pass, last time up I busted a spider gear in My Toyota FZJ80 I blame It on all the Knuckle heads that can't stay off the skinny pedal, they put way too effort in driving there 4X4s and just make us all look bad :( hiJack Over....
I took my Xterra over it about 2 years ago from the Vegas side and I thought I was going for a scenic drive.. I ended up denting the crap out of the door just trying to get down the trail.. . It was all new to me at the time and I was not aware of all the knuckle heads that were thrashing the place.. That sucks..
desert4wd wrote:Sometimes you have to put up with nature's extremes to get away from peoples extremes...