Newbie from SoCal

Stop by and say Hello.
Hike or Die
Still Looking for Slim

Newbie from SoCal

Post by Hike or Die »

I have been visiting the Death Valley area since the late 60s. My intentions are hiking, 4 wheeling, and keeping up with whats going on to prepare for my visits. I have just returned from a weeks vacation staying at Texas Springs and will be returning to Ballarat on the 16th of this month with my Jeep Club. Every time I return it is like there is always something I have'nt seen before. I am sure that this forum can inform me of any questions that I might have. To begin with I was curious about visiting Cerro Gordo, as I remember it was private property. I was given a tour By Mike & Jody.
AndyR
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: Raptor

Re: Newbie from SoCal

Post by AndyR »

Welcome, yes - CG is private as you say.

Currently a bunch of us are in Panamint Springs, and will be paying our respects to Milke & Jody tomorrow.

Andy
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you." --Anonymous
Norman Johnson
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: "60 Willys wagon

Post by Norman Johnson »

The road through Cerro Gordo is a county road, however, permission needs to be obtained from the caretaker to actually go inside any of the buildings or wander around on the property. Plenty of things can be seen from the road and there is much to photograph. The high country in the Inyo's and Panamint's still has snow. There are storms coming every week and conditions can change at any time.

NJ
"You can't tell by watching a bunch of mules rolling in the dust which one can fart the loudest." Sherman Wilhelm

"In case you should ever get the idea you'd like to be a prospector or miner, remember, you don't have to be crazy, but it would help a lot." Jack Mitchell, DOD 10-28-1954
Rusty Rod
Still Looking for Slim
Rig: 2006 H3

Post by Rusty Rod »

Hello all,

I was up there a few months ago. Very neat place to visit. In case you didnt know, Mike has passed and the area is going to his son. When we got there the care take seemed rude at first, telling us it private property. We finally got him talking and he really opened up. It is $10 a head to look around at all the bulidings and just seeing the inside of the hotel is worth it if you are into history.

Mike