Hello

Stop by and say Hello.
harper493
Still Looking for Slim

Hello

Post by harper493 »

Now I've un-lurked I guess I'd better introduce myself... just returned from my fourth visit to Death Valley over the New Year. I live in the Bay Area. So far my visits to DV have been pretty much on-road, but now that jeep rental is available I'm hoping to fly into Furnace Creek in the spring and do some real off-road exploring. At the moment I'm trying to decide just HOW off-road... I would love to do Mengel Pass for example but it seems kind of on-the-edge for someone with very little off road experience. (I have the Death Valley SUV book and have read it all, makes for great fireside dreaming). Otoh just driving to the Racetrack seems kind of tame. If anyone has thoughts/advice I'd be very interested...

That seems long enough for a hello...

John Harper
B-Spec
Panamint Valley Prospector
Rig: 2001 TJ,2005 Xterra,2013 TDI,2015 TDI, 1999 STI, 21 Jetta

Re: Hello

Post by B-Spec »

harper493 wrote:Now I've un-lurked I guess I'd better introduce myself... just returned from my fourth visit to Death Valley over the New Year. I live in the Bay Area. So far my visits to DV have been pretty much on-road, but now that jeep rental is available I'm hoping to fly into Furnace Creek in the spring and do some real off-road exploring. At the moment I'm trying to decide just HOW off-road... I would love to do Mengel Pass for example but it seems kind of on-the-edge for someone with very little off road experience. (I have the Death Valley SUV book and have read it all, makes for great fireside dreaming). Otoh just driving to the Racetrack seems kind of tame. If anyone has thoughts/advice I'd be very interested...

That seems long enough for a hello...

John Harper

Welcome to the board.. I would recommend hooking up with one of our groups and getting in on a run.. That will help you get more acquainted with offroading and heading into the back country.. :mrgreen:
desert4wd wrote:Sometimes you have to put up with nature's extremes to get away from peoples extremes...
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Post by David_Bricker »

Welcome! B-Spec's idea of coming along on one of our outings would be a good way of introducing yourself to off-highway travel, and getting a comfort level established.

Please also read the forum ruels and guidelines. We welcome your questions, and are happy to provide ideas for trips, etc.

David Bricker / SYR
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Post by Panamint Charlie »

Welcome to the board.

If you were to rent a Jeep out of Furnace Creek, I would say head up Mengle Pass and never look back.

Put that Jeep into low range and take your time. You'll be through that section in no time. As a novice offroader you'll probably whiteknuckle the wheel the whole time. However, once through that section, exhilaration takes over and you'll realize "that was not so bad". Just watch your lines and try not to avoid obstacles that the Jeep could easily drive over.

Or wait and cut your teeth with some of us as B-spec said.

Warm Springs,Butte Valley,Goler Canyon to Panamint Valley is a epic trip the very first time.
AndyR
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: Raptor

Post by AndyR »

Welcome John,

there's a few of us from the Bay Area that make trips down to DV multiple times a year. Maybe we'll see ya there one of these days.

Andy
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you." --Anonymous
desert4wd
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2005 Jeep

Post by desert4wd »

Welcome!
These guys said it!
Doug
K7FWD
B-Spec wrote:I don't do trails to prove anything.. I do them because I enjoy it. I could care less about proving anything to anyone..
Not much to offer these days since I'm cleaning out the flickr (photo site) because of high pricing.
Older Fling and Haul stuff (up to about 2008): http://www.pv.desert4wd.com/
Maybe a few things here still but I haven't updated for a couple years.: http://www.desert4wd.com/