Just joined

Stop by and say Hello.
Mountain Gal
Still Looking for Slim

Just joined

Post by Mountain Gal »

I just joined this and wanted to say hello. I just learned about Panamint from the Gold Fever show and would love to hike there and see the "ghost town" but not sure if I can make it!! Late 40's overweight and my husband can't hike too far due to a total knee replacement but doing research and seeing others pictures makes me feel like I've been there. :P

Thanks!
AndyR
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: Raptor

Re: Just joined

Post by AndyR »

Welcome,

Your description applies to a lot of us also - except some of the young whipper snappers LOL

Andy
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you." --Anonymous
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

Hello!

You picked what is probably one of the toughest hikes in all of Southern California. But most of it can be seen here... Welcome to the board Mountain Gal...
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Post by David_Bricker »

Welcome, Mountain Gal!

I thought I was too out of shape to do the hike to Panamint City as well. But I have managed it twice. Yep, it is a doozy, and it took 7 hours up. You definitely need to spend a couple of nights up there, both to recover and to see everything up there.

Somewhere in the Trip Reprts section you should find several discussions of the hike up.

Also, be sure to read the Forum Rules and Welcome Guests topics in the Guest Book section of the forum. It will give you a bit of an idea of what this forum is all about.

David Bricker / SYR
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Post by Panamint Charlie »

Welcome to the forum!

I've taken people in worse shape to PC before. It took two days to get there, but they said it was well worth the struggle.

I know how bad knees go though. I've got 17 years of miles on an ACL reconstruction that the Doc said might last ten years if I was lucky. By the time I make it back from a weekend in the City I'm nearly dragging myself.

I'll leave my opinion of that episode of Gold fever to myself.
desert4wd
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2005 Jeep

Post by desert4wd »

Hey, I have an aftermarket knee. Maybe you could be the Panamint sherpa for a group of us. Welcome Mountain Gal. :D
Doug
K7FWD
B-Spec wrote:I don't do trails to prove anything.. I do them because I enjoy it. I could care less about proving anything to anyone..
Not much to offer these days since I'm cleaning out the flickr (photo site) because of high pricing.
Older Fling and Haul stuff (up to about 2008): http://www.pv.desert4wd.com/
Maybe a few things here still but I haven't updated for a couple years.: http://www.desert4wd.com/