Just joined

Stop by and say Hello.
crocodile1
Still Looking for Slim
Rig: Yamaha Rhino

Just joined

Post by crocodile1 »

Hello, my name is Joe. My wife and I started exploring the Panamint valley a couple years ago. I have been racing motorcycles most of my life. About 2 years ago I did some damage to my knee and was not able to ride for a while. My wife and I love the desert, just the peace and quiet and wildlife. So we decided to get something that would allow us to go out and explore, we looked at Jeeps, but with 2 cars, a van conversion and a new motorhome, we were not excited about the idea of another vehicle with payments and Ins, that would be only driven on the weekends, so we opted for the Yamaha Rhino. Then we started looking at websites about ghost towns, we have a list of places to go, and Ballarat was the first one. Problem here is, we fell in love with the Panamint valley. We started exploring and finding places like the mines and cabins, met Louie the owner of the Porter mine and Tom of the Goldbug Mine, and a couple people from the Briggs mine. We also wound up meeting a Park Ranger when we were going up Goler wash past the Barker ranch, he informed us that our vehicle was not legal within Death Valley Nat. Monument. Kind of bummed, but we sat and spoke with him for a while, he was really nice and realized that we were not out there with disregard to the invironment, we did not get a ticket, but we did turn around.

We also met Tom from Friends of Briggs, very cool person. I contacted him after we found the Briggs camp as we were amazed at how well the places were kept. I own a mfg and machining company and offered any services that would help them, Tom mentioned a new fire pit for Briggs Cabin, so I made one out of S.S. and I think he was going up in March or April, can't wait to see it.

Anyway, it is very cool to read some of the stories on here, we have a few that I'll post soon.

See ya in the dez!

Joe.
Your never lost if you don't care where you are
rotozuk
Still Looking for Slim

Re: Just joined

Post by rotozuk »

Welcome Joe!

Sounds like you have gotten a lot of good trips in already.

Technically, I'm not sure your Rhino is legal in most of Panamint Valley either. That is the problem with non-street legal vehicles. I have 2 different 4x4s, one is street legal, and one is not. The street legal gets a lot more use since it is legal to run everywhere, and the other is only legal in OHV areas.

I know a Jeep owner was pulled over by a ranger out in the valley on a dirt raod, he was warned to never bring his Jeep back to the valley. (You would have to see the Jeep death trap to understand.)

-Wayne
crocodile1
Still Looking for Slim
Rig: Yamaha Rhino

Post by crocodile1 »

I was worried about that, but I went to the BLM Ridgecrest office, and found out for sure. What I was told, was the vehicle is legal out there, just not within the park boundaries. I was also told it depends alot on the park ranger and how we are acting. But it is legal up to the boundaries.

I do know from racing for so long, that the vehicle either has to be plated or have a green sticker, if not, then that vehicle is subject to a ticket or worse.

Either way, we keep our cool and don't abuse the places we go. But I will have to say that the Rhino is unbelieveable, you put it in 4 low and lock, so all wheels are solid drive, and it'll climb just about anything at less than 2mph if you want. Out in Red Mtn, when we first got the thing, I was curious of how well it would climb, so we went looking for some hills, I played around with it in 4wd and in 2wd, since it is basically based off of a quad, you kinda have the best of both worlds, you can either 4wd it up hills or over rocks, or drive it like a quad and stomp on the gas and float over or up the obstacle.

But now with us getting a little more into this, I can see a Jeep in the near future. Specially when it is cold, and we are planning on tenting. The Rhino does O.K. but it would be nice to pack a little more with us and be a little warmer getting there.

JOe.
Your never lost if you don't care where you are
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Post by David_Bricker »

Welcome, Joe! This is a small group, but a friendly one. We tend to be a bit different than many forums, in that we don't go much if any into the political or heavy controversial stuff, but stuick to the desert we all enjoy. Lots of other places for politics. Read the intro pages. etc.

There is a lot of cumulative experience on this board, as well as knowledge of the area. So post away, and welcome again!

By the way, in the park, all vehicles must be street legal and licensed, but most of Panamint Valley is BLM. The problem occurs heading up the canyons in the Panamints, as you switch into the park. Sounds like you came across a reasonable ranger, which the bulk of them are.

David Bricker / SYR
Panamint Charlie
Head Janitor

Post by Panamint Charlie »

Welcome to the board!
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

"I was also told it depends alot on the park ranger and how we are acting."

That seems to be true with ANY law enforcement person.

Welcome to the board... :beerchug: