Hello!

Stop by and say Hello.
Fairlaner
Still Looking for Slim

Hello!

Post by Fairlaner »

:cheers: Hi, my name is Keith.
I've been lurking around for a few weeks and I like what I see, so I thought I'd register and introduce myself. I was born and raised in Bishop (my parents still live there) and currently live in the Central Coast region of California. I spent much of my childhood (mid 60's to mid 70's) exploring the desert with the family in our '59 NAPCO 4X4 GMC Carryall (a vehicle now known as the Suburban and driven mainly by Yuppie moms :cry: ). I've recently rediscvovered the beauty and mystic of the desert, having been on a few recent trips and planning many more! I'd like to thank all for the great info found in the posts on this site.
My driveway is Class II ...
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall
Rig: Gomer - '95 XJ, kind of.

Re: Hello!

Post by David_Bricker »

Fairlaner wrote::cheers: Hi, my name is Keith.
I've been lurking around for a few weeks and I like what I see, so I thought I'd register and introduce myself. I was born and raised in Bishop (my parents still live there) and currently live in the Central Coast region of California. I spent much of my childhood (mid 60's to mid 70's) exploring the desert with the family in our '59 NAPCO 4X4 GMC Carryall (a vehicle now known as the Suburban and driven mainly by Yuppie moms :cry: ). I've recently rediscvovered the beauty and mystic of the desert, having been on a few recent trips and planning many more! I'd like to thank all for the great info found in the posts on this site.
Welcome, Keith to Panamint Charlie's board. Glad you like what you've seen. I think you'll find folks here are very friendly, and always willing to lend a suggestion or three. What you won't find is a bunch of political squabbling. We try to discourage that here, and concentrate on common ground, namely, the enjoyment of the desert.

David Bricker / SYR
Older Fossil
Panamint City Resident

Post by Older Fossil »

Fairlaner wrote::cheers: Hi, my name is Keith.
Hi Keith!

Welcome to a great bunch of folks! We're a bit down 101 from you in Solvang. I think someone else on this board is fairly close to you.

Art
D.A. Wright
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Post by D.A. Wright »

Welcome, Keith. Anyone with a Saline Valley salt tram tower in his avatar can't be all bad ... :wink: I see you've done the Swansea-Cerro Gordo loop, based upon your truck is sitting just out of the first narrow canyon stretch about 3.5 miles from Swansea.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
Kelly
Panamint City Resident

Post by Kelly »

Hi Keith
I too hail from the central coast.
Kelly
garyw
Flea-Bitten Desert Rat

Post by garyw »

Hey Keith? That's not a cow head from Salz Tannery is it. Just wondering>
Garyw
RandyP
Panamint City Resident
Rig: '03 Jeep TJ

Post by RandyP »

Hi Kieth, Welcome to a great group of desert enthusiasts.
I'm on the central coast also. Seems there are several of us.
RandyP
Beatty Lady
Panamint Valley Old Timer
Rig: "Pearl", a 2014 Toyota FJ

Post by Beatty Lady »

:wave:
Hey Keith welcome from someone who isn't from/doesn't live anywhere near you. :lol:

Kit
desert4wd
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2005 Jeep

Post by desert4wd »

Beatty Lady wrote::wave:
Hey Keith welcome from someone who isn't from/doesn't live anywhere near you. :lol:

Kit
Ditto Keith....
- Doug

BTW, that cow is just holding still for the photo :twisted:
Doug
K7FWD
B-Spec wrote:I don't do trails to prove anything.. I do them because I enjoy it. I could care less about proving anything to anyone..
Not much to offer these days since I'm cleaning out the flickr (photo site) because of high pricing.
Older Fling and Haul stuff (up to about 2008): http://www.pv.desert4wd.com/
Maybe a few things here still but I haven't updated for a couple years.: http://www.desert4wd.com/
Fairlaner
Still Looking for Slim

Post by Fairlaner »

Thanks so much to all for the warm welcome!

Yes, my avatar is from a recent trip to the salt tram (my first desert trip in almost 10 years), where I brought my own cow along (my 120 lb fat lab)! Because my truck is still fairly new to me, I was a little nervous as to its abilities, but info on this and other boards gave me the confidence it would make it, which it did with no problems.

DA Wright: Thanks for your salt tram trip report ... it was quite informative. BTW we lived in Big Pine for 5 yrs before moving to Wilkerson Ranch where my folks still live. Dad worked at the radio telescopes outside of Big Pine for almost 30 yrs.

Thanks again for the warm welcome! :D
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

Welcome Keith,
Hey I'm in Wilkerson Ranch right now! Helping a friend to remodel an old mobil home. I'm right on the corner of Panarama and Gerkin Road. Maybe you know the place.

A new restaurant is opening up this morning in Downtown Bishop. I worked on that a little also. Going there to have breakfast in a few minutes. It's called R&T's Tavern. (Ron and Terry's) I've known them for about 27 years now. Ron taught me to fish up here. He's been here all his life. We also have a member who lives in Independence. He is known here as Lepidium.

Again welcome to the friendliest place on the internet. :welcome:
Fairlaner
Still Looking for Slim

Post by Fairlaner »

Hey Larry
My folks live in the long house on top of the hill at the very SE corner of Wilkerson (been there since '65). Don't you just love it out there! It was such a great place to be a kid ... The hills for miles around were our playground! :D

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

I love it here. Been coming out this way for more than 30 years now. Tried to make residence here a few times but always had a hard time making it during the winter... This guy whose mobil Im refurbishing has been here a very long time.

Looking out the window at Black Mountain right now...